Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Little Water Never Hurt Anyone

I like to consider myself the adventurous type. Up for anything. Always active. Always ready to jump right into, well...adventures I suppose. So, after finishing community planting day, Kristina [our awesome project leader] and seven of us embarked on a journey to find the caves along the beach just behind the house. We walked and walked some more and then some more, until we halted and realized that in order to continue on the beach to find those caves, we would need to pass a waterway. Not to far across, but definitely deeper than a few centimeters in which we could frolic across with ease. Bummer. Looks like we are turning around and going back over the bridge to find another route.

Nope. Not me. It's just a little water. I'll take my shoes off and tramp across. O Ms. Adventure. Or Ms. Stubborn? So, I take off my boots, my socks and camera inside, lift them high above my head and book it towards this "stream," most of the others watching from behind laughing. Um, ok up to my calves, not too bad. No, my knees? Hang on, thighs?! Waist?!?! Alright. I am literally stuck in the middle, feet well into the sand, boots high above my head, water up to my waist as I'm sinking deeper and deeper. Looks too deep to continue and not go swimming, so I turn around and head back, only to find that had I ventured a little farther down this stream, it was a tad more shallow, but not by much.

Perfect. I start my week off with a wet left foot from a leaky boot and I end it with a wet pair of legs from a stubborn adventurer. Ha well needless to say, I made it. We continued our search, climbed a little bit, and found a 12 armed sea-star. No caves were found today, just a few laughs and handful of memories. I'll take that any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment