Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Nevis


Well, it's done. On Friday, we went into THE STATION and had the choice of which AJ Hackett Bungy we would jump from. We could jump at Kawarau Bridge, 43 meters high, the original bungy jump, and a place where you could get dunked in the water below if you chose. We could jump at The Ledge, 47 meters high, a torso harness [not a foot one], and you could do a running jump into whatever move you chose. Or...we could do the Nevis Bungy, a 143 meter high jump, suspended from cables across an enormous canyon. I think you know which I chose.

45 minute bus ride to the site. Passing the original bungy on the way there. Zane and I were the ones to do the Nevis Bungy from the volunteer group. The sites were amazing on the way and then we made it. Out of the bus. Things in a locker. Out to get a harness. As we followed instructions, we walked out a side door and onto, well, the edge of the canyon. It was gorgeous. And then we saw it.

Right in front of us, suspended up only by cables attached to the sides of the canyon, was the Nevis Highwire Bungy Jump. Six by six we were called onto a little cable car that took us out. I was one of the first to go out. Jumps went by weight. I was in the middle. One by one friends jumped and then...

"Becky? Is Becky here? She's up."
"That's me!"

I pulled my sunglasses and hat off and put them on the bench, and then in I went to get geared up. I was harnessed by the ankles, being given the lowdown about a string I was to pull when I was done bouncing in order to sit upright. Ok, gotta remember that, don't forget.

I waddle to the edge, toes hanging over, waiting for the countdown. And of course they had a few glitches. Perfect, that would happen to me. After a few minutes of staring down a huge canyon, toes on the edge, waiting and my heart jumping into my throat, it was time.

"3...2...1..."

I lept. Arms spread out like a swan diving into water. 7 seconds I fell and I have never felt anything like that in my life. Fear turned into a feeling of power. Falling down a canyon, the rocks and river below my only view. And just as soon as it started, it was done. I pulled the string. Thank the Lord I remembered. I sat there [upright of course] swinging in circles in the middle of this amazing landscape, feeling quite happy with myself that I did it, but also feeling so peaceful. My heart was going a mile a minute, but I felt amazing.

I was pulled up. That was amazing. Everyone couldn't believe I didn't hesitate, but why hesitate. I would have done it eventually. Go big or go home, I kept telling everyone. And I went big.

After talking with the rest of the ISVers about what an amazing experience we just had, we got an offer.

"You can do the Nevis Arc for only $55 if you want to do it with a friend."

Normally to do it tandem it would be $160 a person. Why would I pass this up? So Zane and I signed up together. The Nevis Arc is an enormous swing over the same canyon. You can imagine how exhilarating this would be. So we walk over a cabled, metal bridge to the platform.

"You want to go first?"
"Umm...sure, why not!"
"Ok, so you can go forward, backward, upside down and forward, or upside down and backward. Which will it be?"

Go big or go home, I thought to myself. So, we did the upside down and backwards swing. Linked together we were moved away from the platform, where we flipped ourselves upside down, arms dangling.

"Do you want a countdown or a surprise?"
"A countdown!" Zane yelled.
"Ok...101...102..." Snap.

He dropped us, it was basically a surprise. We flew through the air, arms still dangling, feet above our heads. Again, it was unreal. We finished swinging and just dangled there upside down, arms linked, laughing, as we were getting headrush from being upside down so long. What our instructor neglected to tell us, yet told others, was that once the swinging was done, you could let your feet down. Yup...we were never told. Regardless, it was outstanding.

After all of our friends took their turn, who should walk onto the platform but AJ Hackett himself, founder of the bungy jump. That man is a genius, I thought to myself. He was more than happy to take pictures with everyone and after a few minutes chatting with him, we were on our way to buy our dvd and pictures so we would never forget the amazing experience we had just had.

With our free day in Queenstown almost over, and bungy jumping a thing of the past, we hop on the bus tomorrow to take us to our next destination: Franz Joseph. Glacier hiking, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment