Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mission 1. Complete.

Flight #1 = success! I didn't sit next to anyone sketchy, smelly, or who took up half my leg room, just a nice middle-aged woman heading to Erie, Pennsylvania. I don't know what I anticipated for the plane, but this tiny thing was definitely not it. US Airways Express planes are small! It felt like I was flying on a private jet with only enough room for my extended family and I. I liked it. It was cozy.

But, even though the flight was a success, it didn't leave on time. It wasn't a big deal though, not to mention the flight attendants had it under control. It's amazing how calm they are when something could potentially be wrong. "Goooood Morning Everyone and welcome to US Airways Flight 1406 to Philadelphia! We will be boarding soon, just after our mechanic checks something with the engine...blah blah blah...airplane talk...blah blah." Even though she mentioned that the engine was being looked at, I wasn't nervous. Huh, who knew those flight attendants had the gift of soothing speech.

So, anyway, I arrive in Philly at 1:30 pm...O wait that's the time I am supposed to board for LA! Whoops, better scurry. Of course my arrival flight came in on the opposite side of Philly's enormous airport than where I needed to board, so I needed to take a shuttle. Fantastic. I get off the shuttle and see "Express Walkway."Ok , that sounds good, I thought, it must be a shortcut. You can tell I don't fly a lot [or ever]. It apparently means a flattened escalator that makes even the slowest walker look like a track star. So, zooming I go, passing store windows on my right. I felt like I was in the mall at warp speed. Although, if express walkways were in the mall, shopping would be a quick trip.

Once I get off and slow down from warp speed, I hurry down to Terminal B. I haven't eaten anything all day at this point, so naturally as I pass each vendor I mumble sweet "Yum"s, "Oh man"s, and "That looks tasty"s as I pass, [low enough so I am not deemed a mental patient by passerbys ]. I get to the gate and after seeing a huge line decide to snag something from the vendor right next to it. $1o later and I have myself an interesting meal of chex mix, a granola bar, and a vitamin water [XXX of course]. Hey, better than nothing. With ticket in hand, I head to the flight attendant at the gate.
"You headin' to LA?!"
"Yup."
"O good, 'cuz we're leaving now."

What timing. A mere 5 minutes later and Philly would be my temporary home until I found another flight to LA. So, on the plane I go, one of the last to board. I get on seeing people sit two by two and can't wait for this roomy flight I will have, not to mention the plane would now fit an entire neighborhood, not just the extended family. So, I walk down the aisle behind a man pulling a small wheely, suitcase behind him. Every few steps he would stop and stare off into space. Meanwhile, I'm behind him, feeling I should introduce myself to the people in the aisle seats, since I saw myself spending a lot of time there. He finally sits down. Bye aisle crowd!

I get to my seat. Darn! The enormous two by two seats have stopped and are now three by three, but still roomy. Seat 23F. Jackpot! I get a window seat and no one sitting in the middle seat! That leaves me plenty of space to snooze, listen to some tunes, and read about Stephanie Plum's next adventure in Two for the Dough.

And finally, in my seat I sat, phase 1 of my flight schedule nearly complete. I stared out the window, undisturbed, for a few hours, peering at the beautiful sights below. I found it extraordinary that here I was, high in the air, feeling as light as a feather, but seated in a huge device made of heavy metal and the added weight of people. Ironic.

The views were amazing though. It's one of those times you wish everyone you know can take part in seeing what you see. It would make friends happier and enemies less like enemies. That's satisfying stuff I would say.

I would soon land, my friend from LA waiting for me in the baggage claim. Now, tomorrow...the real adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment